Simple Pest Prevention
Keep it Clean & Simple
Conquer the Clutter
Whenever possible, eliminate clutter in garages, attics and basements by getting rid of paper bags, newspapers and other materials that provide food and shelter for pests.
Sorry to Sound Like Your Mother, But...
Keeping it clean and simple includes preventative measures to guard against insect and rodent infestations. Good sanitation practices may seem obvious, but it is true that the elimination of a pest's food, water and shelter will almost certainly reduce, if not terminate, your pest problem. Be sure to:
- Remove household garbage to discourage flies and rodents
- Scrupulously rid countertops of food crumbs
- Take care to clean well under appliances and in areas frequented by pets
- Store food long-term in tightly sealed containers
Hitchhiker's Guide to Your Galaxy
Roaches, silverfish, and other pests can find their way onto your property in the most obtuse ways. Be ever vigilant for hitchhikers coming in from other areas of infestation. Pests enter:
- in boxes from the grocery or in crates from storage
- in appliances such as microwaves or refrigerators
- in the sack a neighbor used to bring her garden tomatoes
- via imported furniture that has not been fumigated properly